...THE YEAR IS 1999...

... GORBACHEV IS STILL AT THE HELM OF THE VAST U.S.S.R. THE IRON CURTAIN HAS CRUMBLED AND RELATIONS WITH THE REST OF THE WORLD ARE BEGINNING TO THAW. I HAVE THE CENTRAL ASIAN COUNTRIES OF UZBEKISTAN AND KYRGYZSTAN IN MY SIGHTS AND WONDER IF NOW IS THE RIGHT TIME TO POUNCE.

IT IS...BUT FIRST THERE IS THE PROBLEM OF A DODGY VISA.

Oct 11, 2010

10. IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF TAMERLANE

Registan Square - its sheer size amazing.

BREATH TAKING SAMARKAND
 had been dreaming of Samarkand for so long and now I could barely believe I was here, treading the same path taken so long ago by Genghis Khan and Tamerlane.

Streets that had seen so much history were now  broadened and concreted, traffic a curious blend of modern trolley buses and old cars, horse drawn carts and donkeys, and people dressed in the loose flowing garb of Islam. I was so engrossed in the buildings and shops; even the Arab way of stacking fruit on the pavement that the square itself appeared before me like a sudden apparition.

Its sheer beauty took my breath away.  Registan Square, for me one of the seven wonders of the world. I stood across the road, across Registanskaya Street, utterly overwhelmed and wishing I had someone with me to share the moment. 

Then I crossed the six lanes of traffic and stood on the opposite footpath, my back to the noise and fumes of the 20th century.  In front of me was a square that hadn't changed in hundreds of years, a scene that could have been taken from the Bible, or from the Koran.

Three ancient buildings comprised and dominated the square, the fifteenth century Ulugbek Medrese, the almost identical Shir-Dor Medrese and in the middle the Tillya-Kary Medrese all with detailed mosaic work in brilliant shades of blue.  Minarets and soaring arched facades, perfectly formed, yet with the tiny imperfections demanded by the law of Islam.

The incredible blue of the domes and intricate tiles merged with the clear blue of the sky, the vast paved square with stands of trees and pockets of lawn completed a perfect setting.  I sat on stone steps, centre front, absorbing the magic, until the light went from the sky and I became worried that the night would overtake me.

The ‘People to People’ buses had arrived from Bukhara and Jerry called out that he'd located some locals with black-market antiques for sale; did I want to tag along? But I had already arranged a night at the theatre.

Next morning, I started out very early on foot.  Intourist had no maps in English but I did have a roneoed copy of the streets of Samarkand thoughtfully provided by Mitzi when she handed me that questionable visa.  Throughout the day I would cross the paths of various Sputnik buses, waving to familiar faces as we each touched on the various points of splendour.

I was drawn again to the square, and sat there completely absorbed in the atmosphere of Registan.  No other place on any of my travels has held such a powerful sway over my imagination. The hordes of Asia passed by my eyes, conquering nomads, heroes and villains.  War and peace and revolution, cruelty and kindness and survival.  I was close to tears, quietly emotional. I sat there for ages more before starting down Tashkentskaya Street where life seemed to have frozen to a time some centuries before.

The twentieth century ended at the start of the street, at the bus depot, where not only trolley buses turned around to return the way they had come, but all the buses from outlying districts deposited people in town for the day to either buy or sell at the grand bazaar.
At the bus depot
Around the depot entrepreneurs set up long charcoal braziers, and smoke and the smells of cooking meat and garlic wafted in the air.  There were outdoor teahouses with tapchans and groups of men in deep discussion and through all this mass of people surged excited family groups.  

Young girls with long black braids, like butterflies in their gaudy striped silk dresses and embroidered caps, plump matrons clutching small children eyes bright and darting. Their menfolk walked apart, some proudly carrying a small child, all wearing the black and white embroidered skull caps of the Uzbek.

Tashkentskaya was a long narrow street that led from Registan to the ruins of the beautiful Bibi Khanum Mosque and beyond to the grand bazaar itself. Along both sides of the paved street small shops sold materials and ribbons, foodstuffs and books and utensils; and in front of the shops, on the footpaths, stallholders duplicated everything inside the shops. 

It was busy and noisy and carefree and everyone seemed to be enjoying what the day had to offer.  In the middle of the street, ignoring the spill over of pedestrians, pony and donkey drawn traps journeyed back and forth, saving weary feet the long trek from bazaar to bus for just a few kopecks.
A welcome ride from Bazaar to bus depot

I hadn't realised it was Sunday, and I was very lucky because the Sunday market was the biggest and best. I entered the vast enclosed complex near the melon sellers where towering mounds of watermelons were displayed on worn and faded carpets of such beauty I nearly wept at such neglect.  Trucks reversed through milling crowds with even more melons.  In separate sections were fruit and vegetables of every variety ...carrots, tomatoes, egg plant, onions, horseradish...a riot of colour spread out on row after row of tables.



Every conceivable item was on sale, singing birds in cages, coarse grains, exquisite shawls in the finest of wool, cheese and carpets....even a woman wearing the paisley design scarf of the Uzbek women standing rather forlornly by herself selling her hair, a long black twist, so long it must once have reached past her waist.  I couldn't bring myself to photograph her.

My camera was suspect, so was I.
 I drew comments, blondes stand out in Asian crowds, and  often asked where I came from.  Those who looked blank when I replied ‘Australia’, more often responded to ‘kangaroo’.  A Soviet made documentary about the outback was a recent hit on local television.

At the hotel preparations were under way for the ‘People to People’ caravan flight back to Moscow, the supply of twine and wrapping paper nearly exhausted.  Jerry had by far the most excess luggage with carpets, shawls and local hats by the score.  In my room I found a note from Dawn in case she missed me downstairs in the foyer...when I made it to Alaska, her home was my home.

I would miss these friendly people; the sole Japanese in the group who stuck close to me in Bukhara because, I suspect, I took the time to listen to his halting English; dear Dr. Katie, recovered now from being stuck in the hotel lift; Jerry and the Ecuadoran industrialist who managed to put away copious amounts of vodka; the Gautelamalan who had twelve foster children back home and bought souvenirs by the dozen.

Jeff, the lanky farmer from Missouri showed me a fob watch he had bargained off a street seller for ‘only $20, how about that?’ Amid calls to ‘you write now, you hear’ and a cheery wave from Lena from Moscow, the big sputnik buses pulled out into the traffic for the short drive to the airport.  I might prefer traveling alone, but it is fun meeting people, and sad sometimes to say goodbye.

Though I wasn't to remain alone for long...
_________

EPISODE 11 -  FILM CREW IN SAMARKAND

©Robyn Mortimer 2010



No comments: