...THE YEAR IS 1999...

... GORBACHEV IS STILL AT THE HELM OF THE VAST U.S.S.R. THE IRON CURTAIN HAS CRUMBLED AND RELATIONS WITH THE REST OF THE WORLD ARE BEGINNING TO THAW. I HAVE THE CENTRAL ASIAN COUNTRIES OF UZBEKISTAN AND KYRGYZSTAN IN MY SIGHTS AND WONDER IF NOW IS THE RIGHT TIME TO POUNCE.

IT IS...BUT FIRST THERE IS THE PROBLEM OF A DODGY VISA.

Oct 10, 2010

8. DEJA VU IN BUKHARA



A LANEWAY IN BUKHARA
A STRANGE WALK THROUGH STRANGELY FAMILIAR PLACES

Next morning after the usual breakfast of flat bread, glass of thick yoghurt, black tea and fried eggs, I set out to walk through the old city of Bukhara, the Moslem quarter where homes were hidden behind high walls and narrow alleys led to domed market places. 

I had only walked a few hundred yards down the street when a car pulled alongside.  It was Sasha with a Missouri farmer called Jeff and a Guatemalan plantation owner.  They were on their way to a local tea house; would I care to join them?

 ‘We are going to my most favourite place in all of Bukhara,’ Sasha told us as the car negotiated winding alleys and narrow lanes.

He parked the car in a quiet almost deserted square where all the buildings had high walls and no windows. There was not another soul around. I stepped out of the car and looked about, feeling a sudden and inexplicable surge of recognition. How on earth could I explain this strange sense of belonging, these familiar surroundings?

 I felt completely at home.  Was this odd feeling of awareness  what some people called déjà vu?

Sasha opened a wooden gate in a high brick wall and we entered an oasis of beauty and shade...an open courtyard dominated by spreading mulberry trees.  Under the leafy branches were six tapchans or wooden beds for locals to sit upon and play backgammon, sip tea or just count their beads.

The tapchans were varnished and highly polished and covered with a bright kelim or carpet in the middle of which was a small table. The teahouse was part of an old madrassah or school and the buildings surrounding the open courtyard housed an artisan’s commune where coppersmiths and weavers worked their craft. A huge copper samovar polished to a golden sheen dominated the servery where our tea was being prepared.
With Sasha and Jeff the Missouri farmer, and the Gautemalan sitting at a tapchan in the open air tea house

Following Sasha’s lead we took off our shoes and sat up on the tapchans, leaning back on the bed ends.  Our host sat easily, his legs crossed, Jeff and I, both tall, draped ourselves ungainly under the little centre table while the more plump Guatemalan sat crossways with his feet on the ground.  

Two men on a tapchan next to ours played backgammon; Sasha sat back, relaxed, and fingered his beads as Greeks do their worry beads.

The teahouse attendant brought our green tea in an orange teapot with four glasses and a plate of Arab sweets...nougats and sugary confections.  A radio played in the background, the music of the Arab world, shrill and discordant but not unpleasant. 

The atmosphere was tranquil, like being in a private world.  If I lived in Bukhara this would be my favourite place too...perhaps it once had been.

We passed the time discussing everything and nothing, from Missouri winters to the price of coffee.  I was very aware how privileged I was to be included, Uzbek women by and large don’t join in their men’s social lives.

We next visited an artist friend of Sasha, Dumond Park, his family were of Korean origin.  His studio was in a run down part of Bukhara in a partially demolished and very old building.


His paintings were large and many and my companions from the tour group bought a number to ship home.  I had to be content with a few of his smaller postcard size etchings, one of them the introduction to all posts in this series, another seen below.




I had decided to walk back to the hotel and left the others to return in Sasha’s car.  He had given me directions but I didn't need them.  In the maze of walled alleys and lanes it seemed I picked my way unerringly, turning corners and crossing streets until I found myself in a narrow paved thoroughfare divided by a man made aqueduct.  

The stream or canal was narrow and contained within waist high brick walls on which small children played, chasing each other and balancing, arms outstretched.  


Ahead, gossiping and enjoying the sunshine, three older women sat on a section of the wall. They were dressed in their traditional costume, paisley shawls and head scarves in red, green and blue patterns over matching floral dresses. Each outfit was colour co-ordinated with plain wool socks and cardigans and soft felt slippers.
Three ladies of Bukhara



They smiled a greeting and I was startled by the resemblance of the lady in the middle to my long dead grandmother....the same features, olive complexion, even her expression as she gestured to my camera.  As I took photographs I almost expected her to call me by  name. 

We conversed by pantomime and finger counting, the lady in the middle was in her mid seventies and between them they had 12 grandchildren. The old ladies wore tasteful jewellery of old gold, bracelets and rings, and in their pierced ears delicate emeralds and rubies. The walled house across from where they sat belonged to the youngest of the three.

When I left the three ladies of Bukhara I continued on my way, past little shops that sold sticky sweets and sacks of grain, a tiny barber shop with room for only one customer. I caught up with a man on a donkey who averted his face when I lifted the camera. 

But strangely, in this maze of nameless streets I didn't have to ask directions, without hesitation I turned corners, traversed streets,  found the way out of that old quarter through a park into Lenin Square and back to the Intourist hotel.


I try to keep an open mind on the mysteries of life and death and possible reincarnation, to me all is impossibly possible, but of this I am sure, in Bukhara on that day, I experienced a sense of history, of a belonging that I cannot possibly nor rationally explain.

The ‘People to People’ caravan left early next day in their air-conditioned sputnik buses for Samarkand, 230 kilometres across the desert.  I asked Mustoora where I could find the local bus for Samarkand.  She was horrified.

‘The journey would take all day,’ she warned me.

I didn't mind, I wasn't on a strict timetable.  She went on to insist that women didn't travel alone in this part of the country, a woman alone would command no respect, she said.

Such a short distance, surely I wouldn't offend anyone...I really wanted to travel by bus.

‘If you had a companion it would be possible, but for you alone...the driver would not sell you a ticket.’

‘If you spoke to the driver....’ 

‘No.  It is out of the question.’

She spoke with such finality I could do nothing but put myself in her hands.

‘There is a flight leaving later this afternoon, I will see if they have space for you.  Come back after lunch.’

As it happened Mustoora had confirmation almost immediately and joined me in the dining room.  I invited her to share chai with me, and of course I questioned her about her life.

She was Uzbek born of an ethnic Uzbek father and Iranian mother.  She had studied languages and travelled abroad for Intourist as an interpreter.

‘For many years I enjoyed my life travelling and seeing the world, but my father was not pleased.  He insisted I return home and marry.’ At this point Mustoora extended her hand in a futile gesture the palm upturned, ‘I held off as long as I could, but when I turned 32, my father arranged for me to marry an Uzbek engineer.’

Through the story Mustoora maintained an offhand, resigned attitude. She held the most senior position here at the hotel and was a tough lady as her interrogation of me the night I arrived had demonstrated.

‘That was twelve years ago, and with marriage my travels ended...’she shrugged, ‘...but at least my husband understood my need to have a career.  So he allows me to work here, for Intourist.’

‘Are you happy,’ I asked her?

‘Happy?’ She paused to mull over my question before she finally replied, ‘I have a son, he is my life.   No I'm not happy, but I tell you this...I am lucky.’

She had already told me that her name, Mustoora, means obedience.

________________
  
Episode 9  Flight to Samarkand  Flight to Samarkand

 
© Robyn Mortimer 2010
      




No comments: